Three Oaks Airport, Slovakia
Now Sliač Airport · 69, 962 31 Sielnica, Slovakia
  • Story
  • Place

The pilot mistook the airport

Available in: English | Česky | Slovensky

Ludvík Rapan served in the 2nd Czechoslovak Parachute Brigade, which was formed in the Soviet Union and was planned to be deployed in support of the Slovak National Uprising. The paratroopers were transported to Slovakia from the Polish airport of Rzeszow. However, Ludvík Rapan did not manage to get to Slovakia: “I flew twice. For the first time, we couldn't land due to terrible weather. The second attempt also failed due to bad weather. For the third time, the Russian pilot confused the airport Tri Duby, which was under our control, with an airport seized by the Germans, and was getting ready for landing. We were already some 100 meters above the ground, when the Germans opened fire at us. Two lads were killed and several were injured.” The disoriented pilot eventually landed in the Ukrainian city of Lvov.


Hodnotilo 0 lidí
Abyste mohli hodnotit musíte se přihlásit! 



No comments yet.

Ludvík Rapan

Ludvík Rapan

Ludvík Rapan was born in 1921 in the Slovak village of Dlhé Pole near Žilina. He was serving his apprenticeship as a locksmith in East Bohemia, when he learned the news about the breakup of Czechoslovakia. After a short stay in Slovakia, he worked in Germany and later in Austria. In 1942, he was conscripted to the Slovak army. He went through training for a telegraph operator and in 1943 he was sent to the Eastern Front. He ended up in Soviet captivity, where he contracted typhus fever. After he completed parachute training, he served in the 2nd Czechoslovak Parachute Brigade. As a member of the brigade, he shortly engaged in fighting in the Carpathian Mountains. After the suppression of the Slovak National Uprising, he joined the 1st Czechoslovak Air-Force Division and served as a flight gunner mainly in North Moravia. After the war, Mr. Rapan left the army and worked as a telegraph operator at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of the Interior.

Three Oaks Airport, Slovakia

Available in: English | Česky | Slovensky

The history of the airport dates back to 1936 when the local aviation school was founded and the first hangar built. The airport also played an important role during the Slovak national uprising in 1944. Even before its outbreak, discarded machines were repaired and prepared for combat use in the closed hangars. During the uprising, the commander of the airport was Captain Belo Kubica. Between September 25 and October 16, the second paratroop brigade from the Soviet Union was transferred to Slovakia via this airport – a total of 1,739 soldiers and 248 tons of military material. Some English and American aircraft landed here as well and provided much needed supplies of military material. The airport was bombed several times. In 1968, the Soviet army took over the administration of the military part of the airport and kept it until the political earthquake of 1989.

Please enter your e-mail and password
Forgotten password
Change Password